If you are looking for diet plan that can help you lose weight and also help you stay away from arthritis and cancer, then try alkaline diet. The diet plan also known as alkaline acid or ash diet teaches you an eating lifestyle based on the principle that there are foods that have an alkalizing effect on the body. It also reveals foods that have an acidifying effect on the body. Bicarbonate (alkaline) or Ammonium (acidic) are the products of the nutrients from the food we consume when they get to the kidney. When you eat much acid-forming foods, you may suffer from a variety of health conditions, including bone loss. This is because, in order to balance out your pH your body leach minerals from the bones. Highly acidic foods have also been proven to cause inflammation, cancer, heart disease, etc. In order to prevent your body from leaching nutrients from your bone, you are advised to eat alkalizing foods. This diet and health article will discuss alkaline diet plan in detail, its benefits, recommended foods, recipes and how to start the diet plan.
One good thing about alkaline diet plan is that it supports many other diet plans like vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, weight watchers freestyle, ketogenic, intermittent fasting, and some other healthy diet plans. Note that if you want to avoid gluten completely while following this plan, always read food labels carefully.
How Alkaline Diets Work
Alkaline diets contain more of fruits, unprocessed plant-based protein sources and veggies. When consumes and digested in the body, they help to control the pH of your body. You can notice the effect when you check the alkalinity of your urine after consuming alkaline diets for some weeks.
Benefits of Alkaline Diet Plan
Medical practitioners and food scientist recommended alkaline diets. Here are some of the benefits of consuming alkaline diets.
- The diet plan helps to boost your energy level.
- It fights anxiety and irritability.
- Alkaline diets also prevents frequent colds and flu.
- It reduces the risks of certain types of cancer.
- Alkalizing foods also stops excessive mucus production.
- It improves cardiovascular health Promotes bone health.
- The diet plan stops chronic headaches and migraines.
Recommended Alkaline Rich Foods to Eat
There are tons of recommended foods in this diet plan, I will concentrate more on veggies and fruits you can eat.
- Swiss chard: This veggie is packed with Vitamin C, iron, and calcium. Swiss chard is very delicious, healthy and alkalizing. In order to get the best from this veggie, use it in your salad with other greens, sautéed in olive oil. You can also add them to baked beans.
- Asparagus: It is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and iron. The veggie neutralizes free radicals, reduces aging. It also contains high levels of asparagine – a natural diuretic.
- Arugula: Very rich in Vitamin A, iron, and antioxidants. It is highly recommended for Vegans and Vegetarians who want to boost the amount of calcium in their body. Always add them in your salads and sandwiches to increase their alkalizing effect in your body.
- Artichoke: They are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and folates and also help to detoxify the liver. Artichokes also aid digestion, increase bile flow, boost your immune system, reduce cholesterol levels. Feel free to use it as topping for your salad, turn it to a dip.
Other Alkalizing Vegetables
- Squash: All the various types of squash are all alkalizing. They are rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C, low in calories. They promote eye, bone, colon, and prostate health.
- Radishes: The white, red and black radishes, have alkalizing effect. They are rich in Vitamin C and calcium. Radishes help to detoxify the body, help prevent heart disease, lower blood pressure and regulate blood glucose levels.
- Watercress: This vegetable is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and calcium. It contains carotenoids which help to protect you against cancer. The veggie has a very high alkalizing effect in your body. Form the habit of eating watercress before exercise because it helps to prevent DNA damage.
- Spinach: Rich in fiber, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, iron, folate and phytochemicals. Spinach can be cooked or even eaten raw. It also aids digestion, diabetes management, prevents asthma, lowers blood pressure. The veggie also promotes bowel regularity and healthy bone build.
- Zucchini: Very rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and iron. It also helps prevent cancer and lowers your body’s cholesterol level. To get the best from zucchini, steam and eat it alone.
Some Alkalizing Fruits to Eat
- Rhubarb: As doubtful as it sounds, rhubarb is a fruit and not a vegetable. Although they are not appetizing they highly alkalizing and nutritious. It is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and calcium. Use this fruit to make your pies, crumbles, and tarts.
- Lemons: they are rich in Vitamin C and also relieves the body from coughs, colds, and flu. They also have energizing effect in your liver and cleansing effect in your digestive system. Although lemon is sour and may be thought to be acidic, it is one of the most alkalizing fruits.
- Avocados: Not only are they alkalizing, they are also rich in potassium, fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. Avocados are also healthy sources of fat, especially in keto diet plans.
- Grapefruit: Although they taste sour and acidic, they have high alkalizing effects. If you are into weight loss diet lifestyle, always include them in your breakfast because they boost metabolism; promoting weight loss. It is also rich in Vitamin C.
Highly Acidic Foods to Avoid
In order to gain the most from alkaline diet plan, avoid highly acidic foods like cold cut and conventional meats, processed foods, eggs, milk, caffeine drinks, alcohol, peanuts, walnuts, pasta, rice, bread, oats, wheat, corn flakes, etc.
Also note that it is not only foods that can increase your body acidity. There are some lifestyle and habits that can reduce alkalinity in your body. Some of them include:
- Drug abuse, especially antibiotic abuse
- Bad eating and chewing habit
- Poor exercise and over exercise habits
- Pollution and shallow breathing, etc.
I have discussed alkaline diet tips, benefits and recommended foods to consume, those to avoid, how to start the diet plans.
Feel free to drop your questions and contributions in the comment section below. Also subscribe to our blog to get notified once we update this article or publish related health and diet articles. Help your social media friends know about this article by clicking a share button below. Enjoy!