Generally, studying abroad, especially in British universities does not come cheap. As an international student, your tuition fee cost is usually higher than that of the domestic students. Also, there are other unavoidable costs of studying abroad, such as accommodation, food, utilities, and transport. The first major concern is the tuition fees cost. But do not be discouraged, there are many universities in the United Kingdom (UK) that offer high standard of education, with affordable tuition fees, and also offer scholarships to international students. In this section, you will learn why you should consider studying in the UK, best UK universities with affordable tuition fees and the available scholarships and bursaries for international students, cheapest UK study cities, etc.
Why you should Consider Studying in the UK as an International Student
Every year, more than 1.5 million students graduate from the UK universities. Also, it is the second most popular study destination for international students because of its long-time reputation as a stable country, and high academic standards. Some other reasons why you should consider studying in the UK as an international student include:
- You Experience a Great Memorable Student Life: UK universities offer international students dedicated support services; from healthcare, career counselling, accommodation, to transport.
- Availability of Good Job Opportunities for Students: International students studying in the UK universities usually have amazing work experience because of the various valuable part-time jobs and or internships available to them.
- You are offered various Scholarships and Bursaries: In order to assist international students who need financial assistance, most of the UK universities offer scholarships and bursaries. The scholarships and bursaries go a long way in helping these international students to meet up with the tuition fee cost, and the cost of living in the UK while studying.
Top Cheapest UK Universities that Offer Scholarships to International Students
The University of Bolton is one the best cheapest universities in the UK, located in the city of Bolton. The tuition fees for international students are very much affordable. The yearly tuition fee for international students ranges from £12,500 to £14,450, depending on the choice course. Also the school offers a wide range courses, both for undergraduates and postgraduates. Note that for the first term, you are required to pay additional £1,000, which will cover your accommodation cost for that year.
- Average Tuition Fee per Year: Undergraduate – £14,250; Postgraduate – £ 11,250.
- Popular Programs: Engineering, Architecture, Nursing.
- Available Scholarships for International Students: Stoller Scholarship, Excellence Scholarship, International Excellence Scholarships.
The University of Cumbria is known for its high teaching standard and support services for students. Also, as an international student, you have a very high chance of gaining scholarships and grants from this university, as the UK government supports the university with over 10 million pounds fund every year. With these scholarships and grants, you can easily cover the cost of your study in the UK, especially for degree courses.
- Average Tuition Fee per Year: Undergraduate – £12,350; Postgraduate – £11,990.
- Popular Programs: Education, Law, Psychology.
- Available Scholarships for International Students: GREAT Scholarship.
If you are an international student looking for UK universities that accept students with study gaps, then Leeds Beckett University is one of the best options for you. The mission of the university is to impart its students with very high knowledge and skill standards that will make them exceptional in any work field in future. To actualize this mission, the university collaborated with various businesses and organisations from various fields. These businesses and organisations update the students with the latest demands in the labour market, and also provide them with job opportunities after their graduation. The university has more than 28,000 students from around 100 countries worldwide. The school also offers its students the latest courses, both for undergraduates and postgraduates.
- Average Tuition Fee per Year: Undergraduate – £ 12,350; Postgraduate – £ 11,990.
- Popular Programs: Engineering, Hospitality & Tourism, and Information Technology (IT).
- Available Scholarships for International Students: LBU – International Students Scholarship, Undergraduate Scholarship, Postgraduate Scholarship.
If you are an international looking for a UK university with affordable fee, that offers an extensive array of study programs, with high quality teaching and research standard, then the Teesside University is the best option for you. The tuition fee varies, depending on your course/program of study. The university also offers part-time and full time study program in order to accommodate a wide range of students. Also, there are many scholarships available for international students who may not be able to afford the full cost of their degree course due to financial challenges.
- Average Tuition Fee per Year: Undergraduate – £11,000 to 13,000; Postgraduate – £11,380 to 17,000.
- Popular Programs: Business & Management Studies, Engineering, and Computer Science.
- Available Scholarships for International Students: Global Excellence Scholarship, UK government’s international awards scheme, British Council GREAT Scholarships, British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM, International Development Scholarship, Commonwealth Scholarships, Chevening Scholarship, Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship, Deans’ International Scholarships, Teesside University Advance Alumni Scholarship, Office for Students MSc scholarships, Family Loyalty Discount.
- 10 Things to Consider when Choosing a Course/Program of Study
- 32 Best Affordable US Universities for International Students
If you are an international student looking for a public research university with affordable tuition fee, then the University of Bedfordshire is one of the best options for you. The university is located in England, and offers undergraduate degree (BA or BSc), postgraduate degree (MA/MSc), and doctorate degree (MBA or PhD) courses across 8 faculties. These faculties include: Engineering & Physical Sciences, Arts, Business & Law, Humanities & Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences (Chemistry/Physics).
The university houses over 20,000 students from over 120 countries worldwide. According to the university tuition policy, as an international undergraduate student, you must pay between £9,000 to £12,500 for BA/BSc degree program; £9,900 to £12,600 for MA/MSc degree program; and £11,250 for MBA degree program. Even though this university’s tuition fee is very affordable, there are still many scholarship and grants for international students, especially on BA/BSc degree program.
- Average Tuition Fee per Year: Undergraduate – £12,660; Postgraduate – £12,450.
- Popular Programs: Business Management, English Language and Literature, and Communication.
- Available Scholarships for International Students: Scholarships and Discounts for Engineering Students, Undergraduate Scholarships and Discounts, Postgraduate Taught (excluding MBA), MBA Scholarships and Discounts, Postgraduate Research Scholarships and Discounts, Alumni Loyalty Scholarship.
If you are looking for a public UK university with affordable tuition fee that costs not more than £14,000 per year, then the University of Wolverhampton is one of the best options for you. The university is located in Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England. According to Guardian rank, the school is one of the top 100 UK universities when it comes to academic excellence. The university is also known for its innovative technologies, depth of faculty experience, and employer-responsive programs. The University of Wolverhampton has more than 23,000 students; with over 2,500 international students from more than 140 countries worldwide. The tuition fee varies depending on the program of study. Also, there are scholarship opportunities for international students.
- Average Tuition Fee per Year: Undergraduate – £12,500/ Postgraduate – £13,800.
- Popular Programs: Engineering, Business, Management & Marketing, and Accounting & Finance.
- Available Scholarships for International Students: The Commonwealth Scholarships, Chevening Scholarships, GREAT Scholarships, International Academy Scholarship, Lord Paul Excellence Scholarships, Alumni Scholarship.
If you are an international student looking for the best affordable UK university, then the University of Greenwich, located in London is one of the best options for you. The university stands out when it comes to collaborating with top companies and business organisations in order to maintain a very high learning standard. It also ensures that the students maintain a very high moral standard. The University of Greenwich has over 15,000 students, where about 38% comes from countries outside the EU. The school also offers a wide range of study programs/courses, scholarships and bursaries to international students.
- Average Tuition Fee per Year: Undergraduate – £14,480/ Postgraduate- £14,830.
- Popular Programs: Engineering, Business and Management, and Economics.
- Available Scholarships for International Students: Sanctuary Scholarship, Greenwich Bursary, William Hills Scholarships, Visionary Scholarships, Ann Packer, Sports Scholarships.
Other Top Affordable UK Universities for International Students
- Writtle University College
- York St John University
- Leeds Trinity University
- Staffordshire University
- Buckinghamshire New University
- Ravensbourne University London
- University of Sunderland
- University of the West of Scotland
- Royal Agricultural University
- Liverpool Hope University
- Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts
- Royal Veterinary College
- University of Hull
- Coventry University
- Plymouth Marjon University
- University of Suffolk
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David
What are the Documents Required to get admitted into UK Universities?
The admission requirements of UK universities slightly differ, but here are the general basic required documents:
- High school transcripts
- Passport and visa
- SOP for UK universities
- Proof of English proficiency test scores
- Entrance tests (if applicable)
What are the Cheapest UK Study Cities for International Students?
One of the ways to rate the affordability of a UK university is to check the average cost of living in the city where the school is located. So as an international student, make sure you first check the cost of living in the location of the university you wish to study in the UK.
Some of the metrics used to rate the cost of living in any city include: Cost of living, Cost of accommodation, Cost of food, Cost of utilities, and Cost of transport.
Considering the above metrics, the cheapest UK cities for international students include: Kingston upon Hull, Nottingham, Derby, Leeds, and Manchester.
Below is the screenshot of the summary of the cost of living in 5 UK cheapest study cities.
You have now learnt why you should consider studying in the UK, best low-cost UK universities with affordable tuition fees and the available scholarships and bursaries for international students, cheapest UK study cities, etc. Now feel free to choose the best UK University that gives the best standard for your choice program of study, at an affordable tuition fee.
Recommended Business and Entrepreneurship Books
The Passionate Entrepreneur’s Strategies: Learn how to discover business ideas that will be successful, grow multiple online income streams, make money from home, attract new & retain customers, applications of SWOT analysis in any business, skills that will help you succeed as an entrepreneur, self-discipline, etc. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 1. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money from Blogging & Affiliate Marketing: Learn the Step by Step Guide of Creating, Growing & Optimizing your WordPress Blog from Scratch for Search Engines (SEO) & How to Make Money through Google AdSense, Affiliate Marketing & Other Strategies for Earning Passive Income Online. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 2. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money Self-Publishing Kindle Books for Beginners: Learn the Step by Step Guide to Self-Publish a Best Selling Book on Amazon KDP, How to Design Book Covers with Adobe Photoshop, Format, Edit & Proofread your Book Manuscript with Microsoft Word, Promote your Book on Various Online Platforms & Earn Monthly Passive Income Online. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 3. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
Complete Solar PV System Installation Guide: DIY guide on how to install grid-connected & off-grid solar PV systems, how to build solar-powered electric cars, convert conventional cars to electric cars, online & offline ways to make money from solar energy sector (including stocks), electrical wiring & protection system installation guides, plus free resources for skill acquisition and personal development. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 4. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money from Crypto Trading & Investing for Beginners: Step by step guide with screenshots on the basics of blockchain technology, bitcoin & altcoins, crypto security tips, cryptocurrency market analysis (FA & TA), long term & short term trading, how to calculate your profits in excel, legit ways to make money with cryptocurrencies, DeFi yield farming & staking, how to use any centralized & decentralized exchange platform & more, plus crypto investment bonus! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 5. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
Blockchain Practical Guide: Step by step guide with pictures, on how to monetize the latest blockchain technology trends: crypto trading & tools, especially Ethereum, DeFi, Staking, NFTs, Top 100 Play-to-Earn (P2E) & NFT games, Web 3.0, Metaverse, Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), blockchain job opportunities, with crypto investment bonus! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 6. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money with Blockchain Web3 Apps: Step by Step Guide with Screenshots and Videos on How to Make Money from Blockchain and Web3 Projects – NFTs, Play-to-Earn (P2E) Games, Move-to-Earn (M2E) Apps, Watch-to-Earn (W2E) Apps, SocialFi and GameFi Apps, with crypto investment bonus! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 7. By Buzzer Joseph and Kelly Joseph. Read more about the book.