Coated peanut burger making is one of the trending lucrative groundnut businesses these days, just like chin chin. You can start up the business in a very small scale at first and then scale up with time. Peanut burger is simply a snack made mainly from groundnut, flour and some other ingredients. If you have been looking for where you can learn how to make homemade coated peanut burger, you are at the right place. I will teach from the practical approach because peanut snack making is one of my side businesses. You will learn how to prepare, package and market this snack in a small scale (homemade) from this tutorial article. I will also show you how to start the business in medium or large scale.
- 1 Small Scale Peanut Snack Business Advice
- 2 Small Scale Peanut Burger Production Tools and Ingredients
- 3 How to Make Coated Peanut Burger (Homemade Peanut Recipe)
- 4 How to Locate the Market for your Peanut Snack
- 5 Going for Medium or Large Scale Production of Peanut Burger
- 6 About Joe-Kay Peanut Snack
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 Recommended Business and Entrepreneurship Books
- 9 Subscribe to Our Blog Newsletters (Enter your email address)
Small Scale Peanut Snack Business Advice
There are some tips you need to know before embarking fully into this business.
- Always start any business in small scale. This is because not all businesses favour everybody. So if you wish to quit the business tomorrow, there would not be much loss. 20,000 naira can get you started.
- Generally, small scale businesses don’t yield much capital. So don’t expect to start making millions immediately you start this business. You have to nurture this business, enlarge your market, with time, your profit will rise.
- Always have a business plan, even if you are starting on a small scale. Don’t wait until you start on large scale before you develop a business plan. The plan will be like a compass, guiding you, so that you know how fast you are growing, the targets you have achieved and how to improve.
- Do a market research and know how other local competitors are branding and packaging their products.
- Peanut burger making is not the only small scale business you can start. There are other lucrative business ideas.
If you need money for this business startup, then check out these international business grants for small businesses.
Small Scale Peanut Burger Production Tools and Ingredients
Tools and Requirements
I assume you are starting this business in small scale. I will try to reduce cost for you as much as I can.
You will be needing the following tools or equipment:
- Stove, gas cooker or even Wood: I prefer gas cylinder because it saves time and cost on the long run. If you are running this business in the village where fire wood is readily available, you can use them as your heat source.
- A large frying pot: The type that is use for frying garri.
- A Big Frying Spoon.
- Big iron sieve.
- A big hollow bowl: It will be used for the coating. It can be rubber or stainless.
- Another medium sized bowl for mixing the syrup.
- 1 big tray: For sorting the groundnut. It can also be rubber of stainless.
- A space where you will be spreading the coated peanuts while coating more, to avoid stacking. You can spread empty, neat rice or garri sacks there beforehand. The coated peanuts will be spread on top of the sacks.
- A small pot: for melting the butter.
- I assume you are starting with a half paint of shelled groundnut (the small sized species). It costs around 1500 to 2000 naira per paint.
- A sachet of milk flavor, vanilla flavor and ground nutmeg, each. They are sold around 50 naira each.
- Medium sized cooking margarine (butter): I recommend “Kings butter”. It is sold around 200 naira. You will be using half of it.
- ½ cup of powdered milk.
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder.
- 50 Cl. of hot water, but not at boiling point.
- 1 cup of sugar. It is sold around 150 to 200 naira.
- 3 medium sized eggs, beaten (you can extra 1 for more smoothness).
- 2 Liters of Vegetable oil, for frying. I also recommend “Kings vegetable oil”.
- A paint of flour, for coating. It is sold around 1000 to 1200 naira.
How to Make Coated Peanut Burger (Homemade Peanut Recipe)
I will break the procedure into the following categories: groundnut preparation, syrup preparation, coating process and frying process.
- First, sort the groundnut. Remove the spoilt ones. While sorting the groundnut, put half of the butter in the small pot and melt it over medium heat.
- Now pour the groundnut into a hollow big bowl. Add about 2 tbsp. of salt and 2 cups of water.
- Allow the groundnut to soak for about 10 minutes. Then sieve them with the big iron sieve. Keep them in the sieve.
- Wash and dry the bowl because you will use it for coating.
Preparing the Syrup
- Next, pour the milk flavor, vanilla flavor, ground nutmeg, powdered milk, baking powder and sugar in the medium sized bowl. Mix everything together.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the mixture and stir very well until it turns to a thick syrup and the ingredients have properly mixed.
- Then pour the melted butter and stir well, until evenly mixed.
- Add the water and stir again. This time, stir until every ingredient melts and mixed up well. Congrats! You are through with the syrup preparation.
Peanut Burger Coating Process
- Pour about 1 cup of groundnut in the coating bowl. Add about 2 spoons of the syrup. Toss or shake the groundnut in the bowl until the syrup has touched all the groundnut in the bowl.
- Now sprinkle a handful of flour on top of the groundnut and shake the bowl vigorously, but carefully so that the groundnut will not pour away. The best way to shake is to make the groundnuts move in a circular direction inside the bowl. Note that the groundnuts might be sticking together. So separate them manually from time.
- If the coating is looking dry, add a tablespoonful of the syrup. Shake the bowl again so that the syrup touches all the groundnuts. Then spray a handful of flour again and shake the bowl again. Repeat this process step until the flour has smoothly coated the groundnut.
- Then pour the coated groundnut on top of the rice or garri sack you spread before now. Spread the coated groundnut to avoid stacking.
- Now start another batch of the coating process by repeating the above steps.
- Keep working in batches until you have coated all the groundnuts.
Peanut Snack Frying Process
- Put the frying pot on top of the lighted stove or gas cooker. Pour the vegetable oil and heat up the oil on High heat.
- When the oil has become very hot, pour all the coated groundnuts and start stirring. Stir at interval to make sure the browning is even.
- When the peanuts have turn light brown or to your taste, use the frying spoon to transfer the fried peanuts to the iron sieve.
- Now, pour the peanuts on top of the rice or garri sacks you spread earlier. Allow the peanut to cool a bit, but not very cold. Then transfer them to a heat-proof bag.
Congrats! Your peanut is ready for packaging.
Packaging and Branding the Peanut Burger
For the branding and packaging, I advise you to package them in small quantities. You can sell them as low as 50 or 100 naira per pack. You will need a label which you will insert in each pack. Give the label a professional design. The pack can be a chin-chin nylon. You will also need a sealing machine. A good improvise is a stapler with its pins. These are part of the things you need to get ready.
You can also package them in a 50 Cl. or 75 Cl. bottle. Then use paste the label on the body of the bottle using a gum. The price for the 50 Cl. can be sold around 300 to 500 naira. While the 75 Cl. can be sold around 600 to 800 naira, or even more.
Another option is to use a small transparent plastic plate with a label.
- Top 9 Ways Artificial Intelligence (AI) can Boost Business Productivity
- 12 Best Ways to Raise Funds & Save Money for Young Businesses
How to Locate the Market for your Peanut Snack
I will advise you to first make sure your product has covered your immediate neighbourhood before you start going further. The best way to distribute your product is through retail shops. You can sell to them in dozen packs, with discounts.
Also supply to retail shops who sell around school premises because students make up a large percentage of total consumers of peanut burger. For example, I started mine while I was still an undergraduate. My customers then was my course mates. Then I moved further to the whole department, faculty and finally the entire school before going off camp.
You can also distribute your bottle peanut burger to shopping malls and super markets.
Since you are not the only person in this market, you need to find a strategy to make your product popular. The best idea is to make sure your product is tasty. Another idea is to increase the quantity in each pack. This will attract more customers. But always know you are in for business. So make sure you make some gains after deducting your cost price.
If you wish to go further in advertising, you can run adverts on TV or radio stations. But his will be after you have covered your locality. You can also utilize social media for advertising your product.
- 15 Ways to Boost your Business with Facebook, Instagram & LinkedIn
- 5 Best Ways to Appreciate your Employees as an Entrepreneur
Going for Medium or Large Scale Production of Peanut Burger
If you are planning to take this business to another level, that is producing in a large scale, there are some automated tools and machinery you will need. Some of them are:
Peanut Coating Machine: This machine does the coating with ease and smoothly. With this machine, you can coat as much as 1 bag of shelled groundnut per day. All you need is to make enough coating paste or syrup.
Peanut Fryer or Oven: The fryer does the frying more efficiently. It fries them in batches. Another healthier alternative is an oven for baking the peanut instead of frying.
Peanut Sealing machine: For sealing the packs, especially if you intend to package them in smaller packs.
Packaging Machine: Helps to package the peanuts and making sure each pack is equal. You will set the weight of each pack either in gram or kilogram. Then the machine does the rest.
You can buy a machine that does both the packing and sealing.
You can check out these equipment online in stores like AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, Walmart, Jumia, or you browse online to see the store nearest to your location.
In order to reduce cost and increase your profit, I will advise you to buy these ingredients in larger quantity. For example, you can buy the flour and groundnut in bags. You can also buy the vegetable oil in big cans. These are the ingredients that cost much.
Also note that you will be needing more hands. So make provision to employ more hands. Each employee might be operating one of the machines.
- 12 Resume Mistakes that Deny you Jobs & How to Correct them
- Facial Recognition Technology & How to Use it for Business Adverts
About Joe-Kay Peanut Snack
As I said earlier, am fully into peanut burger business. The name of my product is JOE-KAY Peanuts Snack.
Currently, we package in 50 naira packs, 50Cl. and 75Cl. bottles (500 naira and 800 naira respectively). We also supply in retail price.
Below are the samples of our label and products.
You can contact us at “firstname.lastname@example.org” or call the phone number on the label or through our social media pages to place an order if you are in Nigeria.
- 7 Steps to Help you Start DropShipping Business Online Successfully
- 9 Business Mistakes Young Entrepreneurs Make & How to Correct them
I have taken time to reveal all you need to know before starting homemade coated peanut burger business. I also revealed how to prepare and market the snack. You also learnt how you can scale up the business to make more money. Utilize these tips and become an entrepreneur.
Feel free to drop your questions and inquiries in the comment section below. Share this tutorial article with your social media friends. Subscribe to this blog via email and also follow us on social media. Enjoy!
Recommended Business and Entrepreneurship Books
The Passionate Entrepreneur’s Strategies: Learn how to discover business ideas that will be successful, grow multiple online income streams, make money from home, attract new & retain customers, applications of SWOT analysis in any business, skills that will help you succeed as an entrepreneur, self-discipline, etc. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 1. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money from Blogging & Affiliate Marketing: Learn the Step by Step Guide of Creating, Growing & Optimizing your WordPress Blog from Scratch for Search Engines (SEO) & How to Make Money through Google AdSense, Affiliate Marketing & Other Strategies for Earning Passive Income Online. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 2. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money Self-Publishing Kindle Books for Beginners: Learn the Step by Step Guide to Self-Publish a Best Selling Book on Amazon KDP, How to Design Book Covers with Adobe Photoshop, Format, Edit & Proofread your Book Manuscript with Microsoft Word, Promote your Book on Various Online Platforms & Earn Monthly Passive Income Online. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 3. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
Google Classroom & Zoom Meeting for Beginners: Learn the Step by Step Guide with Screenshots on How to Use Google Classroom as a Business Owner, Teacher or a Student. Also Learn how to Use Zoom for Online Meeting, Web Conferencing, Video Conferencing & Webinars in Mobile Devices, PC & Mac. Make Distant Teaching & Learning a Fun! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 4. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money from Crypto Trading & Investing for Beginners: Step by step guide with screenshots on the basics of blockchain technology, bitcoin & altcoins, crypto security tips, cryptocurrency market analysis (FA & TA), long term & short term trading, how to calculate your profits in excel, legit ways to make money with cryptocurrencies, DeFi yield farming & staking, how to use any centralized & decentralized exchange platform & more, plus crypto investment bonus! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 5. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.