Profit making is the main aim of every crypto trader, although loss is sometimes inevitable. Therefore, you need to learn how to calculate your profit or loss, as the case may be. Here is a simple, but powerful calculator for calculating your crypto trading profit and loss, especially for BTC and USDT trading pairs for spot traders. You will also learn how to manually calculate percentage profit or loss for any crypto trade.
- 1 BTC & USDT Crypto Trading Pairs Profit/Loss Calculator App for Spot Traders
- 2 Features of the Crypto Profit/Loss Calculator & How it Works
- 3 How to Calculate Percentage Profit Manually for any Crypto Trade
- 4 How to Calculate Percentage Loss Manually for any Crypto Trade
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Recommended Business and Entrepreneurship Books
- 7 Subscribe to Our Blog Newsletters (Enter your email address)
BTC & USDT Crypto Trading Pairs Profit/Loss Calculator App for Spot Traders
Features of the Crypto Profit/Loss Calculator & How it Works
Below are some unique features of the calculator app and how to use it:
User-Friendly and Responsive Interface
The calculator has a very user-friendly and responsive interface that can be used on any device, both mobile and PC. Also it is very interactive. So any trader can use it easily, even newbie crypto traders.
Supports 2 Main Crypto Trading Pairs – BTC and USDT
These are the 2 popular trading pairs most crypto traders use. The calculator allows you to select one of these 2 trading pairs and then runs the profit/loss calculation for you seamlessly.
Suitable for Traders who Buy a Coin at different Price Ranges
In a bid to make more profit or reduce loss, most traders buy a coin in batches, at different prices. This method is popular known as Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA). Most times, some of these crypto traders who buy a coin in multiple batches find it difficult to calculate their profit/loss effectively. But this crypto calculator makes the whole profit/loss calculation process very easy.
All you need to do is to enter required purchase details for each of the batches, as shown in the screenshot below.
Then the calculator app will calculate the cumulative average unit price of the coin, the total number of units of the coin you bought and your total investment amount, either in BTC or USDT (based on the trading pair you selected).
Performs Advanced Profit/Loss Calculations
After the entering the required coin purchase details (such as trading pair, unit batch purchase price, coin name and number of units bought) and then pressing the Calculate button, the app gives you a summary of your coin purchase, depending on the number of purchase batches you entered.
NOTE: Always maintain one trading pair (BTC or USDT) when entering the purchase details a coin you bought at different price levels. This is to help the calculator work accurately and return the correct result.
To calculate the selling price that will give you a certain percentage profit, the number of units to sell at this price level and the price that will trigger your stop-loss, press the More Calculations button as shown in the screenshot below.
- How to Make Money from Play-to-Earn (P2E) Games
- 20 Helpful Strategies for Making Money in Cryptocurrency Trading
You will be required to specify your profit taking criteria/details, such as:
- The Capital Pull Out % Profit Level: Depending on your trading/profit taking strategy, you should have a price target where you will take profit. Example, for most long term trades, it is expected that you remove your capital alongside a tangible profit, once price of the coin doubles (that is 100% from your entry price or average entry price). So in this case, you enter 100 in this field. For short term trades, the profit-taking levels are usually lower (say from 10% or 15% upwards). It all depends on your profit target for that particular alt-coin.
- The Extra % Profit you also wish to Pull Out alongside your Capital: Here, you specify the extra percentage profit you wish to remove alongside your capital once your profit-taking target is reached. It is always advisable to remove enough profit alongside your capital, so that you don’t give back everything to the market when there is a sudden market/price dip. For instance, to remove extra 50% profit, enter 50 in the appropriate field in the app. If you wish to remove only your capital at your target price level, then enter 0 in this field.
- The Maximum % Loss from your Entry Price to Tolerate for this Trade: Crypto trades can go two ways; either the profit side (up) or the loss side (down). As a smart trader, before you buy an alt-coin, you need to know the maximum percentage loss you can bear/take in the trade, such that once the price of the coin drops to a certain level, you sell off at a loss, in order not to incur more loss and to preserve your trading capital (this is called stop-loss). Exchanges like Binance allow you to set stop-loss for any trade, usually referred to as OCO (One Cancels the Other). For most smart alt-coin traders, their maximum stop-loss is between 5% to 10% from their entry price or average entry price. So you need to specify your maximum percentage stop-loss in the appropriate field in the app. To specify a maximum stop-loss of 5%, enter 5 in the appropriate field in the app.
After entering the above required details, you press the Calculate button as shown below.
Supports Both Short Term and Long Term Trades
You can use the app to calculate your profit/loss for any type of trade, long term or short term trade. Long term trades are trades you wish to hold for a long term. Most times, this trading strategy is applied when trading gem alt-coins that have higher future potentials. The profit target for long term trades are usually higher than those of short term trades, mostly from 100% and above. A smart way of trading coins for long term is to remove your capital and some profit once the price goes up by 100%. The remaining portion can now be held till whenever the trader is satisfied with the returns and then wishes to sell off. It could be for many months or even years.
While short term trades are trades you just buy and sell off after a small profit has been made from the trade. Short term trading can be called Scalping or Day trading, especially if it is bought and sold off the same day, after a little profit has been made, say 15% to 50%.
You can use this crypto profit and loss calculator app to calculate your profit/loss for any of these trading strategies.
For short term trades, you only specify your desired profit level in the Capital Pull Out % Profit Level field. You can enter 0 in the Extra % Profit you also wish to Pull Out alongside your Capital field. Enter a value in the Maximum % Loss from your Entry Price to Tolerate for this Trade field. Then press the Calculate button. Now use the selling price and the stop-loss trigger price values calculated by the calculator to set your sell order.
You can ignore the number of units to sell in order to recover capital and specified extra profit that the app calculated as shown in the screenshot below. Use only the highlighted values in the screenshot. Since it is a short term trade, you can sell off your whole bag of the coin if you wish, using the selling price that the app calculated.
For long term trades, you need to take out extra profit when the price has gone up to a certain percentage, say 100%. So you need to enter a positive, non-zero value in the Extra % Profit you also wish to Pull Out alongside your Capital field. Then you enter the desired values in the other fields and then press the Calculate button. Now use the selling price, the number of units to sell in order to recover capital and specified extra profit, the number of units of the coin that will remain (your pure profit) and the stop-loss trigger price values calculated by the calculator to set your sell order. Check out the screenshot below and pay special attention to the highlighted returned values.
NOTE: If you wish to use this calculator to run the profit/loss calculation of a different coin, close the pop window of the app and then press the RESET button. It will take you to the home page of the calculator app.
How to Calculate Percentage Profit Manually for any Crypto Trade
If you wish to learn how to calculate percentage profit and loss for crypto trades, then pay special attention to this section of the article.
From the basic knowledge of business mathematics;
Unit Profit = Unit Selling price – Unit Cost Price
For crypto trades, unit cost price is your entry price, while unit selling price is the price at which you wish to sell the coin.
NOTE: If the formula returns a negative value, then you sold the coin at a loss.
Percentage Profit = ((Unit Selling Price – Unit Cost Price) / Unit Cost Price) * 100
Total Investment Capital = Unit Cost Price * Number of Units of the Coin Bought; Assuming the trading fee is negligible.
Unit Selling Price to Sell a coin in order to Earn a Desired Percentage Profit
= Unit Cost Price + (Desired Percentage Profit * Unit Cost Price)
For example, in order to earn 10% profit from a trade,
Unit Selling Price = Unit Cost Price + (0.1 * Unit Cost Price)
= Unit Cost Price * (1 + 0.1) = 1.1 * Unit Cost Price
This concept can be used to calculate the unit selling price that will yield any percentage profit.
Below is the summary of the shortcut for calculating the unit selling price that will yield any percentage profit:
For 20% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 1.2
- For 30% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 1.3
- For 40% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 1.4
For 50% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 1.5
For 100% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 2
For 200% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 3
For 900% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 10
For 1000% Profit: Multiply your entry price by 11 ….etc.
How to Calculate Percentage Loss Manually for any Crypto Trade
To calculate the unit price of a coin after a certain percentage loss, we can also apply the above concept.
Unit Price of a coin after a certain Percentage Loss
= Unit Cost Price * (1 – Incurred Percentage Loss)
For example, after a 10% loss from a trade, the unit price of the coin will now reduce to
= Unit Cost Price * (1 – 0.1) = 0.9 * Unit Cost Price
This concept can be used to calculate the unit price of a coin after any percentage loss.
Below is the summary:
- After 20% Loss: The Unit Price of the coin will be (1 – 10%) * Unit Cost Price
- After 30% Loss: The Unit Price of the coin will be (1 – 30%) * Unit Cost Price
- After 40% Loss: The Unit Price of the coin will be (1 – 40%) * Unit Cost Price
- After 50% Loss: The Unit Price of the coin will be (1 – 50%) * Unit Cost Price
- After 100% Loss: The Unit Price of the coin will be (1 – 100%) * Unit Cost Price
The basic unit of Bitcoin (BTC) is Satoshi.
1 Satoshi = 0.00000001 BTC
- How to Transfer Cryptocurrencies Between Exchanges for Free
- Interest and Effective Rate of Return Calculator App
You have learnt how to calculate crypto trading profit and loss using our simple, but powerful calculator app. You also learnt how to manually calculate profit and loss for any crypto trade. Crypto traders who do spot trading will find this calculator more useful. Feel free to use the tips in this article to secure your capital and profits, and also to avoid much losses by applying the stop-loss tips shared in this article.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog via email to get notified when we publish new crypto trading and business articles. Help your social media friends to know about this tutorial article by clicking a share button below.
Did you find any section of this article confusing? Drop your questions in the comment section below. I will attend to them gladly. Enjoy!
Recommended Business and Entrepreneurship Books
The Passionate Entrepreneur’s Strategies: Learn how to discover business ideas that will be successful, grow multiple online income streams, make money from home, attract new & retain customers, applications of SWOT analysis in any business, skills that will help you succeed as an entrepreneur, self-discipline, etc. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 1. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money from Blogging & Affiliate Marketing: Learn the Step by Step Guide of Creating, Growing & Optimizing your WordPress Blog from Scratch for Search Engines (SEO) & How to Make Money through Google AdSense, Affiliate Marketing & Other Strategies for Earning Passive Income Online. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 2. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money Self-Publishing Kindle Books for Beginners: Learn the Step by Step Guide to Self-Publish a Best Selling Book on Amazon KDP, How to Design Book Covers with Adobe Photoshop, Format, Edit & Proofread your Book Manuscript with Microsoft Word, Promote your Book on Various Online Platforms & Earn Monthly Passive Income Online. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 3. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
Complete Solar PV System Installation Guide: DIY guide on how to install grid-connected & off-grid solar PV systems, how to build solar-powered electric cars, convert conventional cars to electric cars, online & offline ways to make money from solar energy sector (including stocks), electrical wiring & protection system installation guides, plus free resources for skill acquisition and personal development. Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 4. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money from Crypto Trading & Investing for Beginners: Step by step guide with screenshots on the basics of blockchain technology, bitcoin & altcoins, crypto security tips, cryptocurrency market analysis (FA & TA), long term & short term trading, how to calculate your profits in excel, legit ways to make money with cryptocurrencies, DeFi yield farming & staking, how to use any centralized & decentralized exchange platform & more, plus crypto investment bonus! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 5. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
Blockchain Practical Guide: Step by step guide with pictures, on how to monetize the latest blockchain technology trends: crypto trading & tools, especially Ethereum, DeFi, Staking, NFTs, Top 100 Play-to-Earn (P2E) & NFT games, Web 3.0, Metaverse, Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), blockchain job opportunities, with crypto investment bonus! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 6. By Buzzer Joseph. Read more about the book.
How to Make Money with Blockchain Web3 Apps: Step by Step Guide with Screenshots and Videos on How to Make Money from Blockchain and Web3 Projects – NFTs, Play-to-Earn (P2E) Games, Move-to-Earn (M2E) Apps, Watch-to-Earn (W2E) Apps, SocialFi and GameFi Apps, with crypto investment bonus! Lucrative Business Ideas Series Book 7. By Buzzer Joseph and Kelly Joseph. Read more about the book.